The Jean Vanier Library and Learning Commons is open from 7:45 am to 3:45 pm, Monday to Friday unless otherwise posted. Please contact Mr. Peddle, Librarian, or Mrs. Kozak, Library Clerk, if you have any questions about resources, citation or research help, presentations, or booking the space for class use.
Books & E-books
The Learning Commons has access to a variety of books and e-books at your disposal to help you with your research. Please ask for the various user names and passwords to access them from home.
Library Catalogue – search for print books and e-books here
Gale Virtual Reference Library – collection of e-books in a variety of disciplines (includes teacher resources)
Infobase e-books – collection of e-books in a variety of disciplines
Use the databases below to find information from a variety of sources including newspapers, magazines, academic journals, books, and more.
REMEMBER – when accessing the databases from home, they are password protected! Please see library staff for the log-in information.
When you are working on an assignment, you must keep track of all your sources used. They must be listed at the end of your assignment as a Works Cited, a Reference List, or a Bibliography. You must also use citations within your assignment, as either in-text citations or footnotes or endnotes. There are different citation styles you can follow. That is up to your teacher which style you should use. Here are some guides that can help you with your formatting. Please see Mr. Peddle if you require more help.
When using the Internet for research, there are many factors you should consider when deciding whether the website is appropriate or not.
Here are some documents with criteria for you to consider:
Rules of the Library and Learning Commons
• Full uniform is required
• No food or drinks (except water)
• No backpacks – leave them in your locker
• Computers are for educational purposes only. To access your computer account, please use your username; if you have trouble please see a library staff member.
• Your student card is needed to sign out library books
• No cards or other games are allowed
• Respect everyone’s right to work QUIETLY in the Library/LC
• REMINDER: If it’s not allowed in your classroom, it’s not allowed in here!